July 14, 2009

So Many Firsts...

Family Pic (minus Marian) at Cathleen's cousins wedding

Mr. Sweet Tooth

As Cathleen has noted previously, we are still “getting our feet wet” at being foster parents. While we are wrestling with the issues of emotional immaturity and the competition that it brings, we also have periods where it just feels right to have E. in our family at this time.

In just a few short days, E. has experienced many firsts – things we just take for granted in the hustle and bustle of life. It has been fun to sit back and experience these random “firsts” with him:
- First belt he’s ever worn – dressing up for Cathleen’s cousins wedding
- First Wedding he’s ever been to
- First Grooms Cake he’s ever seen – it was a Spiderman cake so that made it taste even better!
- First Family Night – where we discussed our words and the effect that they have on others (using the old toothpaste trick)


Last night, I read a story with the boys about Integrity that mentioned the Pinewood Derby – E. then proceeded to ask what that was? When I explained it in further detail, he asked if we could go buy a car and build one the following day. I then explained the “art of whittling” and told him that we can make spears out of sticks – he then asked what a spear was! There are just so many experiences that he hasn’t had the opportunity to experience. I can’t wait to take him camping on our annual Community Group camping trip in the Fall!!

Cathleen and I have discussed how his being in our family to this point has been good for all of us in one way or another. For me personally, I feel that I had become a little complacent in teaching God’s truths to our kids daily. Sure, we did the various lessons when they were younger, but have slacked off as life became “busier.” Having E. with us has taught me once again that we need to continue reiterating these truths to them over and over again in creative ways! We are instituting weekly family nights again , and look forward to the new opportunities to learn God’s truths with the family.

I’ve also seen witnessed what a tough little guy he has had to be to survive these past 7 years. Last night, while he was hiding in the closet during a wrestling match, he slammed three fingers in door and didn’t even flinch. When I opened the door, I could see that he was in pain as one finger was swelling, but he didn’t tear up once. I carried him downstairs to put ice on his fingers, but was so sad to see that he is able to hold a significant amount of pain bottled up in his heart.

I am thankful for the things we are learning through this experience so far. Please continue to pray that God will guide E.’s paths, wherever they may lead.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

  1. McCowns - the last time I checked your blog was the end of May and so obviously I have missed a lot. I am reading your thoughts and understand so many of them as we had been going through the same process (sort of). Love hearing about your sweet family and E and how God is teaching each of you all through this. Praying for you guys! Cameron

    ReplyDelete