July 29, 2009

God is in Heaven, and we are on earth - enough said!

“For God is in Heaven and you are here on earth; therefore, let your words be few." Ecclesiastes 5: 2

By Cathleen

Adopting a child has been on my heart for many years. Before I even had children of my own, I knew that I wanted to adopt a child. We have gone down many roads exploring adoption and finally decided to do “foster to adopt” through Buckner. I really had talked to a lot of people, read a lot of books, and generally felt like I knew what we were getting ourselves into. I also strongly felt that God had laid it on both of our hearts to open up our home to another child.

I had a “moment” a couple of days ago where I realized that I had gotten what I wanted, but was complaining to God about how hard it was. I had a lot of questions for God concerning what we were going through. I didn’t feel like God was answering them. I had the nerve to journal that “due to His silence I really didn’t have a reason to continue to pursue Him with my questions.” I have never really felt reprimanded by God…….. until now. The verse He brought to mind was Ecclesiastes 5:2, in which He says (to summarize), “I am here in Heaven, and you are there on earth” - enough said!!

E. is an amazing kid! He is smart, funny, emotionally healthy for all that he has had to endure, a great playmate to Josh, well-mannered, compassionate, obedient, and he is hurting. If we would have specified to Buckner that we wanted a boy foster child close to Josh’s age with the description above, they would have thought we were crazy because these kind of things never happen.

I have wondered if this was fair of us to bring someone into our family almost the same age as Joshua, as he has felt the change the most. He has been the recipient of the biggest blessings, as well as the biggest hardships, since our decision to have E. come live with us. He has had to share his room, his toys, and his friends. It has been quite an adjustment for him; however, he is handling it well.

My friend had a great reminder for me the other day. She said “God has called us to love E. for today.” I have a tendency to project into the future about all of the possible scenarios and I tend to get overwhelmed. However, the one thing I can do is love for today.

Today, E. asked me to play a game with him; he ran to the door when Paul got home and gave him a big hug; he has been attacking with his words with Josh, but it was less than normal today . Today is all really have. I don’t know what tomorrow will bring. Thanks for your prayers for us.

“So teach us to number our days that we present to You a heart of wisdom.” Psalm 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment