June 13, 2009

Meeting E*! (*name shortened for protection)

We finally got to put a face with a name last night!! As we were driving to the house E lives in currently, our kids were talking about how awkward it was going to feel to walk into his house with his current foster parents. What were we going to do when we went in the house? Were we going to sit in a living room on couches staring at each other and trying to make conversation?

We had arrived 30 minutes early, and the foster dad wasn’t expecting us yet. When he answered the door, he asked who we were and what we were doing there. He then let us in after we explained that we were there to meet E. We waited in their living room for about 5 minutes, and then E arrived. He came into the room smiling, and asked his foster mom if he could show Meredith, Marian, and Joshua his room. Paul stayed and talked to the foster mom, and I followed E to his room. He immediately showed us his “A” honor roll certificates and showed us the Lego airplane he made. He got out his drawing book and went through it page by page showing us everything he had made. Our kids fell in love with him.

We told him that we wanted him to come over next week and play at our house. Joshua has a Spiderman Lego set he hasn’t put together yet, and we told E he could help him. E wanted to know if he could come with us right then to help him. There was something a little bit sad to me about how eager he was to go with us and how well he received us. Everything considered, we are complete strangers to him. But I don’t understand the heart of a foster child yet.

Last weekend, we made him a book with pictures of our family and letters telling him we were excited to meet him. When the caseworker gave it to him on Wednesday, he was told that he would be coming to live with us. We told E we were going to see him again on Monday night. As we were leaving his foster mom said she had caught E a couple of times late at night under his covers with a flashlight. She said he was looking at the book we made him.

We were only with him for an hour and yet we can’t quit thinking about him. We know we have no control over his future. There are a lot of people who work at CPS, Buckner, judicial courts, etc. that will never meet him, but will decide his future. The whole situation is pretty daunting. It would be a road none of us wanted to go down if we didn’t have the confidence that, while we are not in control of what happens to E, we serve a God that is in complete control! We serve a God that tells us, “He has taken account of our wanderings, puts our tears in His bottle, and gives each one a name.” (Psalm 56:8)

Pray that God will intervene on E’s behalf, and future wherever that road leads. Thanks for reading our entries and being a part of this journey.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! I am so excited for you guys. keep us updated. i love your posts. Kristen D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I work with Brenda and am currently awaiting a foster child placement myself. I've been certified for about 3mths now but started my journey of taking classes and praying about the decision to become a foster parent over 2 yrs ago! And each time that I would stop taking classes, God would see fit to put it back in my heart to continue and finish! I'm so glad that I listened and followed the tugging of my heart to finish those classes.

    Although I'm a single parent and my only child has just graduated this year I know that I can be a blessing to young child; just as you guys are being to 'E'! I pray that he will remain excited to be apart of the family and that everything works out according to God's will!

    It takes a special person to take on the role of becoming a foster parent and I give you and your family kudos! Reading your entries make me even more excited and anxious to have a child placed with me, but God says be anxious for nothing; right? So, I'll sit patiently as He carefully matches up the perfect child for me to welcome!

    Can't wait to read more about your journey!

    Aretha

    ReplyDelete