August 06, 2009

The Good Stuff

by Paul

This fostering thing is hard in a variety of ways. We are daily praying through certain situations with E. and asking God for wisdom. Perhaps the hardest is the lack of certainty or direction when it comes to his long-term placement. It is a cyclical thing – many of his protection mechanisms have come from a complete lack of security and permanence; however, we can’t begin to fully address them until we can provide that permanence. Right now, our goal is to point him to the only true source of permanence, which is a lasting relationship with Christ – the One who will never leave him.

Here is some of the “good stuff” that we’ve experienced in our month with E:
• Getting all five of us outside of our comfort zones in ways we never imagined
• Seeing my family practice selfless acts of love in new situations daily
• A renewal of our family nights and bedtime readings
• Watching my daughters grow in wisdom, patience, and discernment as they handle two boys in the house who don’t always get along
• Listening to the laughter of “brother” camaraderie, especially at bedtime
• Watching Josh and E. use each other to advance their Lego craftsmanship
• Stealing precious minutes alone with Cathleen to catch up during the craziness
• Getting to help “unpack” seven years of baggage of abandonment, fear, uncertainty, and rejection
• Leaning on God daily for wisdom in dealing with “said baggage”
• Seeing baby steps of growth regularly and knowing God is at work
• Teaching both of my boys how to be a Godly man – how to honor God, respect women, be “others focused”, and lead well

In Psalm 40, David talks about how God “brought him up from the miry clay and gave him a new song.” In many ways, E. is stuck in that clay (the clay of isolation, the clay of insecurity, the clay of abandonment, etc.). Our prayer is that one day he will be able to sing how God rescued him and freed him from all of this “clay” in order to fully live!

Psalm 40:1-3
I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and He turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire.
He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along.
He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see what He has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you once again for your post. I haven't read much lately and have only posted very weird posts and some that I have chosen to keep private just because they are mainly scheduling type things. "A" has been with us 2 weeks now and it has been a wild and joyful ride for all of us. It will more than likely be the most difficult journey we will go on, but God prompts us on. Pray for a hearing next week in Henderson. It will be Tuesday at 10:00 and my dear friend and foster mom will attend it with me. "A" is adjusting well and we are in love with him. He has reflux which makes for some challenging moments when he cannot stop crying hysterically. We are working with his doctor to do the best we can for him. We are praying for your family!!! Kara Curfman (I realized it shows me as Mamalion and you might not even know who that is... lol).

    ReplyDelete