August 02, 2009

Going the Extra Mile!

by Meredith

This verse was brought up in church today and really stood out to me:

Matthew 5:40-42 “And if any one wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. And whoever shall force you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.”

God spoke to me in this verse by saying if E. is asking for something (attention, time, encouragement, etc.)- go the extra mile. If he asks for my shirt, to give him my coat also. For example, if he and Josh are screaming, fighting, or driving me crazy, instead of yelling at them to stop, I should be patient. And going the extra mile would be not only just keeping to myself with self-control, but trying to help them work it out. I’ve learned a lot since E. came to stay with us. Patience is something I struggle with daily. And God has been teaching me to enjoy each day and not worry about tomorrow. Another thing that has had an impact on me is that I can call E. my brother. In the beginning, I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to call him my foster brother, or my brother. But I soon learned that it was just when my heart was ready. I’m just going to trust the Lord with whatever obstacles come our way during this journey. And go the extra mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment